Happiness is attainable if we learn to live life in a way that we focus on what really matters. Sometimes we’re all guilty of getting caught up in things, that in a year, we probably won’t even remember. Or we become fixated on attaining something that we don’t really need. We are all guilty of it, however all we really need to do is to remember that the ultimate goal of life is to live!
Below are the guidelines, according to the Dalai Lama, on how to live a life of happiness.
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
- Follow the 3 Rs:
- 1. Respect for self
- 2. Respect for others
- 3. Responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
Taken from The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama