28 People Describe Their Creepiest Experiences While Home Alone


I would say scary rather than creepy. When I was about ten years old I was at home when my mum went to the shops. I had been in the sitting room watching television before deciding I wanted a drink and heading to the kitchen. From the door of the kitchen I saw the tall thin outline of a man outside of my back door and could see the door knob turn. He put his hand through the cat flap but was unable to reach the door. He went after a few minutes and so I removed the key from the back door and put it on the kitchen table. I sat on the stairs in front of the front door until my mum got back. Terrified.



My sister and I were latch-key kids. We would come home from school and babysit ourselves for an hour or so until my mom came home from work.

One day, when we were about 10 and 8, a guy knocked on the door. We didn’t open it (under orders from my mom not to open it ever for anyone). He was a greasy old man, driving a big, rusty 70s car. He said he worked for the FBI and commanded us to open the door and talk to us or our mom would be in big trouble. We refused. He drove off and we never saw him again.



Not really creepiest, but its still creepy when it happens.

When I’m watching something scary on the TV, or computer, and my dog is beside me, she keeps staring down my long hallway turning her head and intently staring, at nothing.


28 People Describe Their Creepiest Experiences While Home Alone



Almost got robbed.

I was home alone, age 12 or something, and I heard the sound of glass shattering from my parents’ room. I cautiously walked in to see what was going on, thinking that maybe the dogs had knocked something over, but was met with the silhouette of a guy climbing in through the window. He didn’t notice me at first, and I was dumbfounded for a few seconds. Then I shouted for the dogs

We had two boxers at the time, one of which was a very aggressive guard dog, and they both came running. The guy looked up and saw me, but immediately jumped back out of the window. I was honestly hoping the dogs would chase him through the window, but they stopped in the room and just barked at him. I eventually let them out back to go check it out, but the dude was long gone by then.

My parents got home a couple hours later to a frightened young tween holding a broom handle as a weapon, with both dogs sitting around me. I didn’t sleep well for the next few weeks.



I have a sleeptalk recorder app on my phone. Basically, it only records when it hears sounds, so when you wake up you have a bunch of around 8-20 second sound clips. Usually they’re the sound of me rolling around in my sleep.

But one night, I was home alone (parents were out, brother was at a friends house), and when I woke up and was listening to the recordings, I heard

Mmm… one, two

in what sounded kind of like a German mans’ accent. There’s no way I could have made that sound, I’m a teenage girl.

EDIT: the app is called Sleep Talk Recorder

EDIT 2: here’s the link http://sleeptalkrecorder.com/Media/20131014_031716.mp3



One day while doing my laundry one of the lights blew out in my basement. My basement is set up so that the laundry room is split from the other side of the basement with a wall and a door. In order to get upstairs you have to exit the laundry room and go through the other part of the basement.

So the light blew in the other part, not the laundry room. As it was the only light on that side, it was pretty fucking dark. I finished the laundry I had to do while dreading the walk through the dark basement. I exit the laundry room, get half way through the basement, and I hear a loud cackle.

Imagine a sound people make when they imitate a witch. Take that and imagine that the witch had been smoking for 50 years, making her voice deeper and hoarser. That is what I heard, clear as day, right behind me.

I did not look hesitate to bolt for the stairs. I waited until my father got home and then changed the bulb. I have yet to hear that cackle since, and I have not told a single person in the house about it.



When I was a young kid I was home alone while my Mum took my sister to school. After about 15 minutes I heard the front unlock, door open, and footsteps. They went into the kitchen but were very slow and heavy footsteps. I assumed it was my Mum but thought it sounded weird for her, normally she calls out when she gets home she’s a slim woman. This sounded like a big built guy with boots on. So I called out and the footsteps stopped. Dead silence. I freaked out and grabbed our dog from outside and hid in a corner.

A short while later my Mum really did come home and I told her about it and that I didn’t hear them leave. However, the door was still locked. The windows were locked. And there wasn’t a single sign anyone had entered. Not even a mark on the carpet from a shoe. To this day I have no idea what happened.



Woke up around 2:00 AM to use the restroom, and I looked down the hallway and saw some figure standing in my kitchen. I looked away, and looked back and it was gone. I almost didn’t have to use the restroom because I about pissed myself.



When I was a teenager I lived in my father’s basement. He would frequently go on business trips and I would be alone in the house for up to a week at a time.

One evening in spring, I was up alone watching tv at around 2am when I heard through the open windows what sounded like two distinct sets of footsteps outside, walking from the front yard, around the side, and into the backyard, where they stopped.

It was then that I realized that since all my lights were on, I couldn’t see outside, but the outside could see me.

I immediately panicked, shutting off my tv and lights. So now I was alone in my basement, with no lights on, with what I thought were two prowlers sitting on my back deck. I don’t know how long I was frozen in the darkness, but after I didn’t hear any more sounds for a while I quietly crept upstairs to try to get a better look into my backyard. Thankfully all the lights upstairs were already off. Unfortunately, with the way the bushes and patio umbrella were set up, there were large blind spots where it sounded like those footsteps stopped.

I considered calling 911, but then when my father inevitably found out, I knew I’d be forced to stay with my aunt when he went out of state. So I stared at that deck waiting to see movement for at least ten minutes before I began convincing myself that my mind was playing tricks on me. I decided to go investigate outside.

I grabbed the closest thing to a weapon I could, an old shepherd’s axe, went out my front door, and crept around the side of my house, crouching behind a bush. I finally mustered the courage to swing the axe into the bush and shout out “HEY!” Nothing would happen, right? No one was there, and I’d have a good laugh, albeit an embarrassed one, when I realized I was just being paranoid.

Instead, I immediately heard the sound of deck chairs scraping on wood, and two sets of human footsteps running off into the opposite direction.

My heart stopped. I felt like I blacked out for a second from the adrenaline rush. I ran back around the side of my house in the direction I came! What was I to do?? There was no time to think! I made it to my front door, swung it open, rushed inside, slammed it shut, and stood there in the darkness, practically hyperventilating! I stared out into the street, waiting to see someone leaving the property, but no one did. It was then that I realized that now, I wasn’t safe inside my house like I thought I would be. I was trapped.

So I ran out the front door into the middle of the street where I could scream if I saw someone. Surely by now I should have called the cops, but I wasn’t thinking clearly anymore, if I ever was. Now I was facing my house, but I still didn’t see anyone. So I glanced to the left down the street. Nothing. Then I looked right.

Two male figures were walking away from me, a block and a half down the street. Just as soon as I noticed them, they turned left at the t-junction onto the main road, and disappeared out of sight.

For some reason I ran after them, and when I turned that corner, no one was there. There should have been nowhere to go, and they would have only made it about a half block if they were just walking. They must have had a car waiting there.

I was thirteen.



Just happened this summer. Was home alone and heard the door bell ring. Opened up to see a this man there holding a large square bag. He starts talking about how he’s an artist and is opening up a gallery soon and wanted to sell a couple painting for a lower price to drum up interest or whatever. I’m Canadian and über polite so I just nodded and let him open the bag and start showing me the painting. They were nice, couple landscapes, couple portraits… And then the nudes started. This went passed nude art.

First one was painted and was okay, then the second one seemed more photo realistic and depicted a very messed up orgy. Then it went through beastilaity and gore and just got really intense and awful. The man just stood there flicking through the canvases and grinning at me. At one point he made a small step towards me and I just blurted out I didn’t have enough money to pay for anything and slammed the door. Checked a couple minutes later and he was still there. I shouted out from a window that I was gonna call the police and he left.



Continue to Page 2 by clicking the button below…

Leave a comment