Don’t bother getting a pen and paper… just read… if you can’t answer them, skip them and keep going.
- Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
- Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
- Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
- Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
- Name the last five Academy Award winners for Best Actor and Actress.
How did you do?
Probably not very well right?
The point is, none of us remembers the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They’re the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Now here’s another quiz. See how you do on this one:
- Name three teachers who aided your journey through school.
- Name three friends who helped you through a difficult time.
- Name five people who have taught you something worth while.
- Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
- Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
The people who make a difference in your life aren’t the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They’re the ones who care.
We remember the people that make an impression on us. The ones that we felt strongly towards, who changed the course of our lives through simple compassion, kindness and understanding.
Remember this when you say you want to make a difference in the world. What made a difference in yours and by whom?
Chances are it wasn’t by someone hugely successful or through the means of money. A kind word or smile can make the world of difference in someones life and by giving them freely, we never know just how many people’s lives we are changing for the better.